Saturday 17 March 2007

Enjoying the festivities...


My eldest son and I spent a couple of hours at the local St Patrick's day celebrations. Although the weather wasn't as nice as yesterday, we managed to have a good time. There was a live Irish band on when we got there and I listened intently whilst eating a plate of Irish stew. There was a lot to see and do, both inside and out and of course there was plenty of Guinness on offer. The highlight (for me) was the Irish dancers; I love Irish dancing and am always impressed by the ability the dancers have to keep the top half of their bodies still. I managed to get this picture of them (before my batteries went); you can see why SoftSpikes came about! I have known girls who do Irish dancing and it would take hours upon hours to get their hair right. As far as I am aware, points can be lost in competitions for not enough curl. I actually suspect that a few of the girls I saw today might have been wearing wigs; who could blame them, the thought of putting those curls in would give me a headache!

3 comments:

Niki000 said...

Irish stew and Irish dancing? In my town St. Patrick's Day festivities involve green beer and leprechauns almost exclusively. Your holiday sounds much more exciting.

Brenda said...

In Chicago, where I used to live, they color the river green! Hi to you too, Mel!

Mel said...

Hi Niki, thanks for dropping by! I think lots of the pubs over here were offering green Guinness; but I'm no fan of it in it's usual colour!

Hi Brenda! I saw some pictures on the net of the green river; that's amazing that they do that. They had a much bigger festival in London on Sunday but as it was Mother's Day I had other things to do! I'm not sure that they do anything as exciting as turning the Thames green...