Saturday 14 July 2007

Venezia


I think that Venice is a wonderful place; having been there before, I jumped at the chance to take my students. The journey from our hotel was about two hours and the students took this as an opportunity to catch up on their sleep. Before we left the UK I 'd checked the weather forecast and we knew that it was going to be another scorcher of a day.
When we left the coach we were taken to St.Mark's Square by water taxi and it was then that they began to appreciate Venice's uniqueness. Prior to that, I think they envisaged it as a city surrounded by water that had proper roads and streets within it.


St. Mark's Square


On my previous visit to Venice I didn't get the chance to go on a Gondola; this time Parks, OP, The Hawk and I decided to share one. We were supposed to take it turns to sit in the 'love' seat, but I was too nervous to stand up whilst we were moving so Parks and I had it for the entire ride!
Our Gondolier, Sebastian, was fantastic and spoke perfect English (although he didn't think so); he also sang very well.


5 comments:

brunsli said...

Che bello!

Volgio venire anchie io!

Brenda said...

Whatever Brunsli just said! Plus, I'd love to go there. My one any only trip to Europe only included Rome.

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Great posts and pics of all your trips. I'm so inspired by your travels, and hope to make my globetrotting dreams a reality soon. For sure, Europe is on the list. BTW, how did your SLs hold up?

Mel said...

Brunsli, si molto bello!

Brenda, if you can make it, do. It's stunning. It's also sinking by 1 millimetre a year, so hurry!

N'drea, I do love to travel; I have been very fortunate this year witht the number of times I've been away. Europe is a great place to start as there are so many places to visit and they are all so close to each other.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!