Saturday 9 December 2006

Apology needed?



In the last two weeks there has been much debate about an interview with Tony Blair in the New Nation newspaper. In the article he expresses his sorrow over the role that Britain played in the transatlantic slave trade.
The cause of the debate is that he stops short of giving a full apology - some suggest that this is to prevent any descendants of slaves seeking reparation.

Whilst it would do him no harm to make an apology on behalf of Britain; the fact that he has made this acknowledgement means a huge step forward has been taken. He has gone further than any of his predecessors in recognising the situation. The role Britain played is documented and regardless of whether or not we are taught about it in school, the information is there for all to access.

In the litigious society we live in, the opportunities to seek compensation for any and everything exist. I believe that those who would seek this route, will do so no matter what Tony Blair has or hasn't said.
Personally, I embrace my heritage and all that my ancestors went through to make me the person I am today. The one thing I would wish for is that instead of being jealous of each other, trying to kill each other and doing our best to hold each other back; we would take example from other communities and unite.


What do you think?

No comments: