Thursday 11 January 2007

Questions answered...



I really enjoy receiving and reading comments on my blog. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea to remark on what they have read; I ploughed through many blogs for months before I had the courage to leave a comment. (now you can't shut me up!) I continue to read the blogs of others - it's addictive - not only do I find them entertaining but highly informative. 9 times out of 10, if I have thought of a question to do with SL's, I have found the answer on a blog.


And now I have been asked a couple of questions which, I am going to attempt to answer in more detail here, should they be of interest to more people...

You mentioned using water with tea tree oil to help with the itchiness - how many drops of oil do you add to the water?

Since having my SL's put in I have been troubled by itchy scalp, at first I tried to ignore it but it started to really get to me. I posted a question on LockItUp and many replies suggested using an Apple Cider Vinegar solution. This was a one part ACV to two parts water mix. I was advised that this could be left on or applied, left for a few minutes and then rinsed off just before washing. Whilst leaving it on had a comforting effect on my scalp I was overcome by the smell. So with this one, I personally prefer to apply and then wash off.

Whilst reading blogs I then came across the idea of using Tea Tree Oil and Witch Hazel - much nicer smell!


For the Witch Hazel/Tea Tree Oil, mix I fill the Witch Hazel bottle's cap with Witch Hazel and then put a drop of the Tea Tree oil into it. I then use a cotton bud to apply it to the parts in my hair. I have found this is handy when I have the itching in a specific area of my hair.

This solution has a very soothing feel to it and reminds me of the sensation I used to get when I used ALL WAYS ISOGRO (Menthol) to grease my scalp.




I really have no exact measurements for the Tea Tree Oil spritz. But I can tell you that I fill the bottle (which is quite small) with water and then add 25 drops of Tea Tree Oil - I don't why 25 it just seemed like a good number! I use this more regularly to spritz my scalp and to give my hair a fresh smell in between washes.




BTW, how did you keep the ends from coming a loose?

I don't! I had nearly all of my length SL'd during the installation, apart from maybe 2-3 inches at the end. I have 2-3 inches of natural hair at the root. I have no idea what the effects of this decision will be, but so far I have had no issues.

It has, I believe, meant that my hair has been lower maintenance as I don't have to worry too much about keeping my ends looking neat.



I know that eventually they will have to go, otherwise I can imagine that as my SL's start to mature, I will have nice puffy locs that morph into chemically made stringy looking things!

4 comments:

Maryee said...

Nice post! Thanks for sharing.

Maryee

Mel said...

No worries Maryee :-)

naturalmd said...

Thanks for the info. I bought tea tree oil and added it to the witch hazel and that helped so much. After about three days, I had to break down and finally wash my hair. It came out much better than I expected. I love my sisterlocks!!! I hopefully get around to posting some picures in the next few months.

Mel said...

I'm glad it worked for you Naturalmd. Do let me know when you post some pics :-)