Friday 26 January 2007

What the...

I came out of work late this evening having stayed behind to catch up on stuff, a few of us had decided to have a quick drink and catch up at a nearby bar. As I walked towards the car I could see that something was on the windscreen, sure that it was a leaflet promoting something or another I walked around the car to remove it.

And then I saw this...

The note on my car was from a witness who had seen the van reverse into my car and then drive off, yes, drive off! To say that this upset me was an understatement; what surprised me was the fact that I remained so calm. A few years ago I probably would have started to scream and shout in the middle of the street until all of the residents had come out their houses. But I have learnt that some things are beyond your control and getting unduly stressed about them is unhealthy. Like traffic - your in it, your going to be late, there's nothing you can do so just chill and put a good CD on!

So I sighed, inspected the car again, rang the witness and then went for the drink. Turns out the van was a delivery vehicle for a well known shop; I shall be contacting them in the morning. The damage is not horrendous and the car is driveable which is a good thing; it's the hassle it's going to cause trying to track down the driver or the fact that I will end up paying for the car to be fixed myself that winds me up the most.
Am I expecting too much to think that the driver should have left their details? My sister thinks they didn't because it would have caused them trouble at work. Is that my problem? NO.
OK, so now I can feel that my blood is starting to boil and I am forgetting my resolve that some things are not worth stressing about! I think it's a good time to end the post and get an early night; I have lots of phone calls to make in the morning...

2 comments:

Brenda said...

It's so fortunate that there was a witness willing to help out. At least you have some chance of having the culprit pay.

Mel said...

I know. And he turned out to be a student from my school! The whole thing is such a hassle, I'm still chasing things up...