Tuesday 27 February 2007

The Hills are Alive...


Our host kindly offered to take us on a scenic walk and not wanting to be left behind, I opted to go. We caught a tram from Innsbruck and we were going up a mountain 10 minutes later - very clever vehicle; it also ran on train tracks. We had great views over the city of Innsbruck as we made our way up.









It wasn't long before we got of the tram/train to begin our leisurely stroll.





Oh the sunshine, the views; this was great - why did I pack all of those jumpers?



The walk became steeper and steeper and steeper and if I wasn't mistaken someone had turned the sun down...




SNOW! We had been told several times since arriving that Innsbruck is usually knee deep in snow at this time of year. Not this time though, the city was a snow free zone. So of course we all got very excited and had a snowball fight.



We ploughed on through the snow to a lovely little place where we stopped for a rest and a bite to eat. None of us were prepared for the dramatic change in climate when we came out, so we were pleased when told we'd be taking the quick way down (note to self - quick way is not always the safest).


I hadn't really expected to hiking up mountains on this trip and must admit that my footwear was not entirely appropriate. I guess my concern started to grow when the third person in a row fell over, the trouble is there isn't really anything to hold onto in the mountains.



By the time we got to this point I decided there was only one thing to do. I sat down on the ice and made like a human toboggan - OOOHHH I had so much fun! Our host was stunned, I can still picture him at the bottom of the slope with his mouth wide open. Everyone else burst into fits of laughter, hence the reason I have no photo! Not sure that I'd do it again (my jeans are ruined!), but I figured that it was better than falling down the hill.

1 comment:

Jena Evans said...

Too funny~