Friday 11 May 2007

Aaargh!

I woke up in a cold sweat this morning; I'd had a dream - you know, one of those ones you really believe is real. I'd cut my relaxed ends off my hair, I'm not sure if it was me or my hairdresser that had done it. Actually, it was probably me, because ALL of my hair unravelled and I was left with a real mess. When I woke up, I slowly moved my hands towards my hair and was extremely relieved to feel that all was OK.

I have been thinking about getting my hair cut, although I haven't really discussed it with my hairdresser. It's just that the longer my roots get, the more I see the difference between the two textures of my hair and in turn the more I'm not sure I like what I see. I think It's because I have to work doubly hard with the styling and if I don't get that right, it is the relaxed ends that look a state. Perhaps this dream was a warning that I should leave everything alone for a while...

5 comments:

Goodnapps said...

You're entering that stage that I think is probably inevitable. The dual between natural vs processed.
The natural is no doubt going to win. This dream is probably a clue that a perm cut is in the very near
future. To me, that's how you know when it's time. Your natural hair definitely has a way of letting you
know the perm must go. But it doesn't have to be 100% you know. You can trim 50, 70, 80 percent to your comfort level of how much you can deal with short hair. Then several months later you'll have another dream indicating that it's time to be 100% all natural.

Brenda said...

Speaking from experience, gradual trimming can be done, if your goal is to maintain some length while transitioning. But I won't lie, you must be vigilant! You absolutely have to stretch each and every time you wash or it will bunch. I trimmed about a half an inch after each retightening. Also, it was almost impossible to freestyle for the first three or so years while I transitioned and I almost always did a braidout in order to have some style. But ultimately, you have to do what's right for you. Good luck!

Aya said...

I can't relate to your experience, but I would have to agree with the insight of goodnaps and brenda. Whatever you decide, it will be all good!!!

Mel said...

Goodnapps,you know the devil didn't fool me! I know you exist and always appreciate your advice and encouragement :-)

Mel said...

Duh! Why did I press enter when I hadn't finished!

Hey Brenda, it had always been ym intention to do what you did and trim a little as I went along - not really sure what happened there. I'm thinking I'll go for an inch or two at my next appointment and take it from there.

Aya, you are so right - these ladies know their stuff!