Tuesday 17 July 2007

BTW, how did your SLs hold up?


N'drea asked this question in relation to my recent travels to Italy. I am pleased to report that my hair caused me no trouble at all; it's surprising how much extra space you have in your suitcase without straighteners and various hair lotions and potions! My hair accessories comprised a selection of Hairties and a few hair pins and bands; admittedly I took more of those than I actually needed.

I was in and out of the pool quite alot; I didn't b&b my hair, just put it up in a ponytail (wonder if this added to my bunching problem...). I was sure to rinse my hair thoroughly after each pool visit and I washed it twice during the five days we were away. This is in total contrast to our family holiday to Tunisia last year, when I spent the whole time sat by the pool. I ventured in on the second day because there was a fantastic waterslide there, but my hair was a ridiculous mess afterwards and it took me such a long time to make it look 'OK' that I didn't go in again.

On a day to day basis in Italy, my hair was also a dream to manage and I mostly wore it freestyle; I carried something in my bag just in case I needed to get it out of my face because of the heat.
I guess what I am trying to say is that, bunching aside, I don't really think about my hair these days (well that's not strictly true!). Does that make sense? What I mean is, I don't plan things around the way it will effect my hair nor do I plan my hair around the way it will effect things, which is something I often did in the past.



I know you are going away soon N'drea (and the place looks beautiful - think I will add it to my 'to visit' list), I look forward to reading about your SLs hold up in the sand and sea.

1 comment:

blackrussian said...

Yes Mel, I know exactly what you mean!

I have so many posts sitting in draft it's ridiculous (my interview included), but in one of them I talk about how I used to plan outfits and excursions around my hairstyle. It was something I HAD to think about.

I would travel with an actual camera bag (which reminds me, I should take pics of it) - an old camera bag from when video cameras were huge and had tapes the size that went in VCRs - that I would carry my beauty tools in.

When I traveled I packed a dryer and flat irons and curling irons and an assortment of tools and products. And I was SO proud of myself that I worked out this system.

And I was always SCARED that someone would mistake my hair luggage for electronic luggage and STEAL it. I would have been much more put out at having to replace all of those things and much more inconvenienced by being without them while traveling if anyone had stolen them than if someone had taken my camera!

But now, same deal as you. I take a few pins, a little conditioning spray (2oz.), an empty 2 oz bottle for water, and a tiny bottle of shampoo. Oh, and a pony holder and barrette. My entire hair arsenal fits in a tiny makeup bag that could travel inside a small clutch purse!

Not so much as a comb or brush!

IT IS SO LIBERATING!

I went on a cruise 3 weeks after I got my SLs. None of my girls went swimming until after formal night because they didn't want to mess up their hair. I was in the ocean, the pool, the hot tub, on the waterslide 2 hours before dinner and my hair still looked fly for the pictures! It was awesome.

I DIDN'T have to THINK about it at all. About the only decisions I make now are Up or Down? Dry or Wet? and Back off my face, or Finger-combed forward?

Sorry, so long, it's just that I really FEEL you on this one!