Sunday 26 August 2007

"Eh eh gurl, you put on li'l weight!"


I knew my Grandad was going to say that (well, words to that effect), when I saw the look he gave me as I walked into the room. He is over from Guyana and I haven't seen him since he was last here, early last year. "You could take a li'l run roun' de block" he said as he gave me a big hug and kiss! Whilst my Grandad wasn't being malicious, he certainly isn't going to win any awards for diplomacy!
But his observation of my weight gain is not news to me; I know I have put it on and I'm now working to get rid of it. I was pleasantly surprised to have returned from Egypt fractionally lighter; all that time in the pool paid off. It's now just a case of remaining motivated and as I'm sure many of you know, that can be difficult at times. I probably won't blog too much about this again; you'll be able to measure my success by the photos posted no longer being just shoulder up! I have a goal weight in mind, with my birthday/Christmas time as a target; there also smaller target dates along the way.
So BR you are not the only one...


(Pic - My Dad, My Grandad & I. Do excuse the wheel grwing out of my head - sometimes you just need to take your own photos!)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

why, i think wheels growing out of heads is the latest fashion satement!! :)

Grandparents will be grandparents, i suppose. After they get a certain age, they think they have the right to say anything that pops into their head!! LOL!

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Sunsail is such a riot. But she's right about grandparents. When I call my grandmother overseas, I know to expect a question along these lines - "So, how's the love life?" or "Yu nuh find anybody yet?"

muslimahlocs said...

family. you gotta love them for their un-diplomatic honesty.

Naturalist1 said...

I can relate but it's the opposite. My grandparents tells me I need to eat or I'm too frail/skinny. It bothers me alot because I do eat and I get tired of it. But I'm doing better with ignoring them.

Unknown said...

Speaking as your devoted aunty who saw you the other day..... you look lovely !! I dont think you need to diet at all, you looked stunning at the christening even when you changed into a shorts and vest. Folks are so weight obsessed its crazy ! I like the way your grandad is rounder than the last time i saw him, cheeky bugger ;0)

CarmenNC said...

I lost a few pounds and think I can wear anything now. Right now I have on some cheerleader type shorts. I have undergarments with more clothe than these hotpants. I am able to fasten a pair of jeans I haven't worn in about 2 years. They are still tight but before there was at least two inches of space between the button and the hole.

blackrussian said...

The funny thing about weight loss or gain is that it really does depend on who you talk to.

I'm unhappy because none of my clothes fit properly and I feel like PARTS of me are disproportionately LARGE.

But just yesterday (and not for the first time) I received a compliment on my 'new look'..this from a woman who is very Botticelli herself, but this did not detract from the compliment at all.

You and I have the same time frame in mind....I am quite looking forward to taking full-length photos again myself!

I wish you every success!

Mel said...

Sunsail LOL, I'm sure I shall feel the same way in years to come...

Muslimah, N'drea, Naturalist - I'm sure that they feel they have our best interests at heart!

Aaah Charlotte, Thank You x

Congrats Carmen!

BR, if you make it here in December, we can go out for some cake to celebrate achieving our goals!