Sunday 21 January 2007

The Craic...



I spent the weekend in Dublin and I had a fantastic time!
For a while it was touch and go as to whether or not I'd make it as I'd been so ill; I'd only gone back to work on Thursday and then I ended up losing my voice! Thirteen of us flew over to Ireland after work on Friday, arriving late in the evening. First stop after putting our bags down was to the hotel bar to toast our arrival. Now I don't usually drink Guinness in England unless it's in Guinness Punch, as I find it incredibly bitter. However, in Ireland it has a totally different taste, almost sweet, so I had half a pint...



Saturday started with a good, hearty breakfast and boy did I need it to fuel the five and a half hour shopping spree we were about to embark on. Oh my goodness, what a workout - for both body and bank balance! The men gave up after a couple of hours and went to The Guinness Factory, but we ladies kept on going. To our complete surprise we bumped into one of our students! (seen here between Parks and I) Can you believe it? There we are, looking at shoes when we hear "Miss what are you doing here?".





The group had dinner together in the evening, which was a great way to get to know each other better. Although we all work in the same place, we often don't have the time to say more than a passing 'hello'. We chose Italian; I know, you don't go to Ireland to eat Italian food - but it was delicious! From there we moved on to a club and boogied into the early hours.


We were all quite, shall I say, fragile in the morning. But that didn't stop the ladies from wanting to hit the shops again. The pace we moved at was noticeably slower than it had been on Saturday and sometimes I just had to stop! After a late lunch of Irish Stew and lots and lots of water, we walked back to the hotel to collect our cases. The flight back to London was quick, followed by a short train journey and a taxi - Home Sweet Home. The best part of being away always seem to be arriving home!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

What a great little vacation! I need one - can't wait til my kids are on spring break.

AFunkyKindaGlow said...

Hey

Just wanted to say hello from a fellow Londoner. Nice hair!

Mel said...

Brenda it really was great, we had alot of fun. I am so tired though; feel like I need to check into a spa to get over it!
At work they are already talking about the next trip. Perhaps Prague - I'll keep you posted...

Look forward to reading about your spring break adventures :-)

Mel said...

Hello and Thank You FunkyKindaGlow! A few more of us Londoners and that's a gathering in the making...

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Sounds like you all had a really good time. I really want to start traveling I feel like I'm missing out on something!

Mel said...

Sistalocd, I love to travel. Living in Europe means that access to many countries and cultures is relatively easy. Still, I feel that I need to travel further a field, the States for instance...