Thursday 4 January 2007

My Curly Perm!



No you're not about to see an Old Skool pic of me sporting a Jeri Curl!
Spurred on my the positive response to my hair yesterday I decided to show how versatile my SL's are. I plaited my hair and spritzed with Tea Tree Oil/Water mix (my new solution to itchy scalp).
When I took the plaits out this morning my heart nearly broke - I looked like I'd put my finger in a plug socket! The curls were so tight that my hair barely covered my ears. I tried to stretch, shake and finger comb the curls loose but they weren't having it. In the end I decided I'd just have to smile all day to keep the attention away from my 'do. I twisted a small section from the front of my hair and pinned it back on a diagonal (not sure how clear this is in the picture) - I have been wearing the life out of my centre part!

The curls seemed to drop slightly throughout the day and by the time I got home and took some pics it wasn't looking too bad.
But where did I go wrong? Plaits too small, too tight or both? Shouldn't have spritzed? Too much spritz?
All advice greatly received - I do not want to repeat this again!

Too vain to post a pic that shows the full disaster!

9 comments:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

I'm not sure what the other pic looked like but it look goods from this one. I guess it could've happened from all of what you said too much spritz, or the plaits too tight. Basicaly it all depends on what look you are going for.

CloudNine said...

Mel...my dear I have been in your shoes. I have blogged about my first time using the soft spikes...long story short I ended up looking like Weezie Jefferson. My consultant said, if ever your hair comes out too tight...try pulling it up in a ponytail and taking a quick hot shower...the stream will help to loosen the "tightness."

brunsli said...

Oh, it doesn't look nearly as bad as you describe!

I stopped braiding and opted for two stranded twists -- they're faster to put in, faster to take out and the curl is more subtle.

See Carole's newsletter at http://coilsncurls.com/

brunsli said...

Oops I clicked too soon - Carole's newsletter has a wonderful demo of a twist set.

Mel said...

Thank You all for your advice.

Sistalocd - I think it was that the plaits were too small and tight. This is why I had so much trouble when trying to loosen them.

CloudNine - I now remember reading this on your blog - but you know when you're in a panic these little gems of wisdom sometimes escape you. I am now going to find out who Weezie Jefferson is...

Brunsli - trust me, it was bad! I will give twisting a try. I guess the type of curl you get is different with this method? Thanks for the link to Coils N Curls - I will now be adding it to my links. More hair pics to look at!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel, I put the V in vanity when it comes to my hair. Your hair looks fine, if you would like, set it with perm rods to get a curly effect -- I'm sure you will love it. You are looking great!!!

Mel said...

Hey MsJamison - Thanks for stopping by. What is it about these SL's that have us all reaching for the camera!

Do you have to sleep with rods in?

Leighann said...

That's funny, I thought I put the V in vanity. :-) I'm with Brunsli, that photo looks good. And also two strands twists are a "softer" set then braids.

Thanks for linking to me! I'll add you too!

Mel said...

Hi Leighann
I did take that picture late in the evening so my hair had dropped alot. My own vanity wouldn't have allowed me to post a pic from the morning!
After my next hairwash I'm going to give the twists a try.
I'll keep you posted - pun intended!