Thursday 8 February 2007

More Snow!



The warnings for bad weather started early on this week and last night was sooooooo cold I knew that we would wake up to snow this morning. The snow was much deeper than that which we had a couple of weeks ago and it was still falling. I tried to find out if my school was going to be open; checked the website, rang the office - nothing. I had made the decision as soon as I woke up that I wouldn't be driving, not after the last time! So I got myself all wrapped up and began my walk to the tube station.

As I battled through the snow, passing children having snowball fights and cars sliding across the road, I came across a lady.
Now first I think it's important to explain what I had dressed myself in to cope with the weather:
My magic tights - they keep you warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot - they're great
The thickest pair of sports socks I own
Jeans
I layered four tops of varying thicknesses
Knee high, leather boots with a thick rubber sole
Wool coat
Hat, scarf, gloves

Wonderwoman was wearing:
Knee high, high heeled (stiletto) boots
Skirt - just above the knee
No tights
A jumper
Coat

My attention was drawn to her when she slid downhill past me and had to grab onto the railings to stop herself falling over. Had this been any other day I would have described her as being a well dressed woman on her way to work. But today, she was a disillusioned woman on her way to Accident and Emergency!

It took me about forty minutes to walk to the station and I was just about to get on the tube when my phone rang - school had been closed! So, I turned around and made the journey back home, which was far worse as it was all uphill.
The snow has caused chaos up and down the country and not long after arriving home I received another phone call telling me that school would be closed tomorrow as well. Wow - two days off school, what's a girl to do? Of course I could have found myself lots of work related things to do or I could chill out, eat homemade soup and wash my hair...

5 comments:

brunsli said...

I miss a good blizzard.

Photos please!

Mel said...

I'm so bad - I didn't take any pictures!

Brenda said...

We're waiting on snow here, probably wednesday, I think. If so, I hope it'll be enough to have a good Valentine's Day snuggle without having to worry about going to work! And some people just have no sense!

AFunkyKindaGlow said...

I laughed so hard at your post it pretty much mirrored my day 'cept I was wonder woman, only joking!
She probably had a "beer coat" on.

Mel said...

Brenda - The snow only lasted a day in London :-( It quite bad up North and continued at the weekend. Aaah, a Valentine's snuggle...

FunkyKindaGlow - She was working that outfit! I just couldn't understand why it had taken her so long to realise the outfit was a bad idea. I'd have trouble wearing the boots in the best of weather, but snow and ice!