Saturday 5 May 2007

Where are you Mel?

Nobody actually asked me that, but I know that's what you're all wondering! I haven't kept up with my usual frequency of blogging this week (it's funny how bad I feel about it now).

Pinch, Punch First of the Month

And what a hectic start to the month it was, of course I am talking about work and not my hair (which has been fine!). Tuesday was our Dance Showcase, a roaring success, it was totally sold out. Students (and staff) had worked hard to produce the school's first evening of dance. Over the last couple of weeks, we really had used every waking (non lesson time) moment to rehearse and prepare. It was worth all of the hard work; expectations are now high for next year...

Uh-Oh, I don't feel well

I woke up on Wednesday morning feeling quite unwell, you know, sore throat, aching joints and a headache. I decided I'd go in to work, I had lots to do and so told myself that I didn't feel that bad. My day was brightened by my Year 13's who had performed in the showcase; they bought Parks and I chocolates and cards. When I read what they had written in my card I became rather emotional and shed a few tears and then so did they! I continued feeling ill throughout the day and didn't stay late after work; needless to say I was in bed by 5pm.

Music to my ears

Another day, another event at school. This time it was to highlight the exam compositions of the music students; professional musicians are hired to form an orchestra to play the music that has been written by the students as part of their examination courses. Although I was still under the weather I thoroughly enjoyed this concert, the pieces the students had written were outstanding. Quite rightly they received a standing ovation at the end of the night.

Finally
Friday arrived, although I still wasn't feeling any better I went in. JayKay is about to go on maternity leave, we needed to moderate coursework and do a department handover. I armed myself with tissues, painkillers and the chocolates my students had bought to help make me feel better!
As soon as I got home I went to bed and I didn't get up until 3 o'clock this afternoon. Wow, almost 24 hours of rest; I must have needed it because whilst I don't feel 100%, I do feel a whole lot better.

4 comments:

Goodnapps said...

The body definitely lets you know when it needs proper rest.

Glad you are feeling better. Do get well soon!

Mel said...

You are so right and thanks, I think I am on the road to recovery.

Valenciajaz said...

Mel, I so enjoy the way you express yourself. When I read your blog I'm sometimes thinking I guess this is what (the American comparison) she's saying. By the way, I also work in the school system here in Maryland and I'm wondering what are Parks and what grade level is year 13?

Mel said...

Hey ValenciaJaz, thanks for stopping by :-)
Parks is my colleague, she features in some of my older posts.
Year 13 is the last year of secondary education and students are aged 17-18 years old. Although compulsory education here ends at 16.