Thursday 23 August 2007

Eilat

Our hotel was located about 15 minutes from the Taba Gateway; making it very 'easy' for us to cross the border and visit Israel.
I use the word easy loosely, because I actually didn't think they were going to allow me into the country. Having passed the 'pop quiz' on questions relating to my passport and getting the all clear from the metal detector and being frisked, I had to wait while my passport was subjected to a number of tests. This included it being placed in a machine (which thankfully flashed 'PASS') and then the outside of it being tested with with pieces of material in long wands, the material was then run through a machine (which again thankfully flashed 'PASS'). I have no idea why I selected for this out of the group of five I was in; perhaps because I no longer resemble my passport picture...

One of things that struck me during this fairly uncomfortable experience (I did start to feel sick and did want to cry; not that I am guilty of anything) was the number of women working there. Trust me, they were not women to be messed with; they and their guns made me a shadow of my usual bubbly self. It was a real contrast to our hotel where all of the staff were men.
Anyway, the last part of the process was a little easier; "no, I don't know anyone in Israel", "I've come to sight see and shop", "I am here for the day", "yes I know those people, they are my family", "thank you very much, I will enjoy my stay".

A short and nearly very expensive taxi drive(the driver wanted us to pay $50 which is £25, when I said we were paying in Shekels, he charged us about £5!) and we were in the heart of Eilat; the shops and beach were buzzing with people. We started at the shopping centre; a little bit of retail therapy and a great lunch later and we were ready to walk along the beach.
There was a great atmosphere in Eilat and I'm sure it's really lively at night; the sand wasn't the cleanest I've ever seen, but the water was lovely and blue.


There was a real mix of people there, although it did seem to be the place to be for the young and trendy. We came across a group of crazy boys having the time of their lives, jumping off a bridge into the sea; I thought about giving it a go myself, but worried about what it might do to my hair!

As we were leaving I couldn't help but a take a few pictures of the airport, which I thought was oddly placed in the middle of the road.
I didn't have any trouble leaving Israel; perhaps that means I'll have no trouble getting in the next time I visit!





No comments: